Presidential Decree No. 54/22 was published on 17 February in the Official Gazette, updating the single guaranteed national minimum wage and the minimum wage for economic groupings, and revoking Presidential Decree No. 89/19 of 21 March 2019.
This new Presidential Decree aims, in essence, to establish the value of the single national guaranteed minimum wage and the value of the minimum wage by economic groupings, and among the most relevant new features, we highlight the following:
- The Single Guaranteed National Minimum Wage will be increased to the amount of Kz 32.181,15 (thirty-two thousand, one hundred and eighty-one Kwanzas and fifteen cents).
- The amounts of the Minimum Wage by Economic Groupings will become the following:
- Commerce and Extractive Industry Groupings, Kz 48.271,73 (forty-eight thousand, two hundred and seventy-one Kwanzas and seventy-three cents);
- Transport, Services and Manufacturing Industry Groupings, Kz 40.226,44 (forty thousand, two hundred and twenty-six Kwanzas and forty-four cents);
- The Agriculture Grouping, Kz 32.181,15 (thirty-two thousand, one hundred and eighty-one Kwanzas and fifteen cents).
In relation to the possibility of reducing the national minimum wage, it should be noted that companies in the agricultural and manufacturing sectors may establish salaries below the national minimum wage, provided that they can prove by documents their inability to pay the amounts referred to above.
Finally, we note that the updating the single guaranteed national minimum wage and the minimum wage for economic groupings came into in force from 17 February 2022.
António Vicente Marques – Sociedade de Advogados, RL
Luanda, February 2022